The Center for Dermatology, Laser and Cosmetic Surgery welcomes you to our site and invites you to be introduced to the wealth of information that displays the services and resources that are available from our premiere dermatologist and nationally known physician, Harold Farber, M.D. We would like you to get to know us and we believe the products and tips we display will encourage you toward excellent skin health and fulfill many dermatologic needs. For health, services and restorative beauty come see about us.
About Harold Farber MD
Harold Farber MD has been a long-time resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Harold Farber has offices in both the Main Line and Northeast Philadelphia areas, serving a broad-based population and offering services to the most diverse patient demographic that he can possibly reach.
Dr. Farber was born and raised in Philadelphia where he graduated in the top 5% of his class from George Washington High School. Dr. Harold Farber received his Bachelor’s degree from Penn State University in General Arts and Sciences. His goal was to obtain a well-rounded education that was centered around both the art and science of medicine and treating patients.. He was active in many extracurricular activities and was part of the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. He remains an active student mentor for college students seeking a career in Medicine.
Dr.Farber attended medical school in New York state where he was involved in multiple special activities such as patient advocate, clinical correlations instructor as well as a freshman advisor. He excelled in multiple areas receiving grades of academic excellence particularly in Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease and Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Harold Farber graduated and remained in New York completing an Internal Medicine Internship prior to returning to Philadelphia at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.
At Jefferson University, Dr.Farber returned to his hometown roots and began his residency training at the nationally acclaimed Jefferson Hospital where he ultimately decided to practice medicine in the specialty of dermatology. Dr. Harold Farber excelled in his residency and was promoted to the chief resident in the discipline of dermatology.
Currently, Harold Farber, MD is on staff at both Lankenau and Hahnemann hospitals and has a thriving practice with two locations in the area. There he is best able to serve his patients and clientele from both a medical and cosmetic continuum. Serving parallel functionalities as a renowned practitioner treating various dermatologic conditions such as skin cancer, psoriasis, eczema, acne, warts, etc..as well as a skilled cosmetic surgeon, he is able to ensure optimum health and enhance the beauty of women and men while slowing the signs of the aging process and maintaining healthy skin.
Patients have described his technique as “artful poetry in motion with a pair golden hande” Using state of the art equipment, Dr. Harold Farber is able to speedily assess and deftly correct, numerous effects of skin that has been flawed in manner; restoring health, beauty, and confidence while making the patient totally comfortable, with the sense of well being in a caring and relaxing atmosphere. Teenagers are another demographic who are particularly pleased with his ability to treat acne and restore clean and clear skin. His practice is open to any age from children to geriatrics. In addition to his busy private practice, Dr. Hal, as he is affectionately known, treats many patients who are unable to afford care, and volunteers for numerous clinics and skin-cancer screening events.
In addition to his time on the lecture circuit, he has been invited as a guest lecturer for various dermatological organizations including the Philadelphia Dermatological Society and the Pennsylvania Academy of Dermatology as well as various other state and local medical societies. He is on several advisory boards and has in the past participated in clinical research to advance the science and study of dermatology. He has participated in multiple physician educational events and has received numerous nominations for “Best Physician” from local as well as national sources. Most recently, Dr. Harold Farber has been named Main Line Top Doc and Top Doc American Council four years in a row. A peer-driven award, this is the profession’s choice of their own- “doc to doc” award. He has also been named one of Philly’s fittest physicians. This year, he was also named one of Philly’s Top Docs by Philadelphia Magazine. Dr. Harold Farber was also named one of the country’s Top Doctors by US News and World Report an honor bestowed upon him by his peers. He continues to serve as a mentor and physician resource for medical students.
Dr. Harold Farber is a compassionate and highly skilled dermatologist, renowned in his profession and often sought out for his expertise in the treatment of the most difficult cases. Medically challenging cases are continuously referred to him by primary care physicians and other dermatologists alike. He has vast experience as a clinician who listens to his patients. Dr. Harold Farber lectures across the country and is a highly sought after speaker who is the ultimate authority on an array of topics. He is well-published in medical journals.
Dr. Harold Farber has several professional affiliations, including:
- American Medical Association
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Philadelphia County Medical Society
- American Academy of Dermatology
- Pennsylvania Academy of Dermatology
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Council for Nail Disorders
- Medical Mycological Society of the Americas
- Photo Medicine Society
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons
- Golden Slipper Club
- Phi Beta Kappa Association
Harold Farber MD
- Fellow, American Board of Dermatology
- Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Unrestricted License, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Medical Physician and Surgeon
- CLIA Laboratory Certificate of Compliance; Laboratory Authorized to Perform Tissue Pathology, Mycology; Dermatophyte Screening, Virology; Tzanck Smear
- Clinical Lab Permit, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Tissue Pathology, Mycology; Dermatophyte Screening, Virology; Tzanck Smear
- Ellis CN Krueger: Treatment of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis by Elective Targeting of memory effectors T Lymphocytes, New England Journal of Medicine 2001-345:248-253 Member of Alefacept Clinical Study Team
- Enbrel Psoriasis Study Group Member Contributing Author- Multicenter Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Etanercept in Patients with Psoriasis Submitted- New England Journal of Medicine
- Contributing Author Photodynamic Therapy with Aminolevulinic Acid HC/(Levulan) 20% Topical Solution and Visible Blue Light in the Treatment of Multiple Actinic keratoses of the Face and Scalp: Investigation- Blinded, Phase III Multicenter Trials Submitted- Archives of Dermatology
- Farber, HF – Removal of a Spider Angioma with Diode Laser. Photoderm: Clinical Study and Photography Techniques for Dermatologists 2000, Vol 2, No 2, 7-9.
- Norton, L. and Farber, H. Point-Counterpoint: Should Dermatologists Dispense Cosmetics- Skin and Aging. Journal of Geriatric Dermatology, Vol 6, Number 1, 74-77, 1998
- Farber, HF – Massive Lipoma of the Palm, Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol 11, No 5,11/83
- A. Menter, J. Cather, D. Baker, H. Farber, M. Lebwohl, M. Darif. The efficacy of multiple courses of Alefacept in patients with moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Volume, 54, Issue 1, Pages 61-63.
- Farber, H.F. Practical Dermatology, April 2010; Vol. 7, No. 4 – “Inflammatory Dermatoses: Examining the Link between Microbes and Cutaneous Eruptions”.
- Farber, H.F. Supplement to Skin and Aging June 2010 – “The Relevance of Vehicle in Low-Potency Topical Steroids: Two Case Studies of Pruritic Condition”.
- Participant in a Raptiva Speaker Training Seminar
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Presentation to Family Practitioners: Usage of Topical Immunomodulators in Dermatology
- Participant: Novartis Consultant Network Regional Advisory Committee
- Participant: Genentech Regional Advisory Board Meeting: “Usage of Biologics in Psoriasis”
- Warner-Chilcott Pharmaceuticals Lecturer to Dermatology Physicians and Physician Assistants. “Acne Case Studies in Dermatology”
- Speaker for Novartis in “Advances in the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis”
- Guide To America’s “Top Physicians” Consumers Research Council of America Recipient Award
- Harold Farber in Main Line Today “Top Docs” Choice Award
- Warner Chilcott Speakers Bureau/Guest Lecturer- Doxycycline antibiotics in the Treatment of Acne
- Seminars in Psoriasis Speakers Participant Faculty Member International CME Lecture Series
- Aventis Pharmaceuticals Inc. Speaker Participant- Antihistamine Usage in Dermatology
- Novartis Consultant Network Participant and Guest Lecturer on Topical Immunomodulator usage in Eczema to Family Practitioners and Dermatologists
- Amgen Regional Speakers Training Participant
- Connections Magazine Dermatologic Consultant
- Pennsylvania Osteopathic Family Physicians Society Invited Guest Lecturer on Therapeutic Advances in the Treatment of Eczema
- Covance Health Economics and Outcomes Services Inc.-Consultant Participant- Physician Satisfaction and Payor Coverage and Reimbursement for treatments using the Levulan Kerastick
- Fujisawa Dermatology Speakers Update Meeting Participant and Lecturer
- Galderma Laboratories Speakers Program Participant/Speaker Forum
- Connetics Consultant Dermatology Advisory Meeting
- Connetics, OLUX Investigator Meeting Participant
- Connetics Speakers Training Meeting Participant
- Novartis Advisory Board Speaker- Understanding the Changing Landscape of Eczema Treatment for Family Practitioners/Internal Medicine
- Novartis Pharmaceutical Famvir Speaker Training Meeting Participant- AZ
- Novartis Advisory Board Speaker
- Topical Immunomodulator usage in Eczema
- Antiviral therapy for Herpetic Infections
- Onychomycosis: Treating and Managing Your Diabetes and Other High-Risk Patients, Family Practitioners Audience
- Elidel Speakers Training Meeting Participant
- Cultivate Speakers Training Meeting Participant
- Fujisawa Dermatology Visiting Faculty Program Lecturer Multiple presentations including Pennsylvania, California, Utah, North Carolina, Maine, and Illinois lectures
- Purdue Pharmaceutical L.P. Speakers Bureau Member
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation Preceptor
- Guest Lecturer: Protopic: Safety, Efficacy, and Realistic Expectations. San Diego Dermatology Meeting
- Guest Lecturer: Differential Diagnosis and Management Issues Regarding Atopic Dermatitis. Philadelphia Family Physicians Dinner Meeting
- Guest Lecturer: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Options in the Treatment of Onychomycosis. Philadelphia Family Physicians Dinner Meeting
- Guest Lecturer: Therapeutic Advancement in the Treatment of Eczema. Fujisawa Corporation New Jersey
- Guest Lecturer: Safety, Efficacy, Study Design and Clinical Usage of Tacrolimus in the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis. Fujisawa Corporation. Philadelphia
- Guest Lecturer: Onychomycosis- Therapeutic Options. Novartis Pharmaceuticals. Philadelphia
- Guest Lecturer: Clinical Experience using Current Antiviral Therapy. Novartis Pharmaceuticals. Philadelphia
Consultant Preceptor Bristol-Meyers Squibb Company for Sales Representative Training
- Guest Lecturer: Clinical Experience, Efficacy, and Alternatives to Lamisil and Famvir Usage in an Active Clinical Dermatology Practice. Philadelphia
- Participated in Advisory Board Meeting for Managed Care evaluation of Fujisawa’s new product for Atopic Dermatitis
- Philadelphia Dermatology Society invited guest lecturer monthly meeting: A novel treatment for pre-cancerous Keratosis-Phase III Clinical Trial Results
- Guest Lecturer on Photodynamic treatment of Actinic Keratosis at Palm Beach Dermatology Society
- Guest Lecturer in Boston for “Review & Results” of Phase III Clinical Trial in Photodynamic treatment of Actinic Keratosis
- Guest Lecturer on Photodynamic Treatment of Actinic Keratosis at Broward County Dermatology Society
- Connetics Corporation National Speakers’ Bureau – Lecture on Safe and Effective Usage of Topical Steroids
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Lecture on Current Treatment of Onychomycosis
- SmithKline Beecham Lecture on Famvir and Common Skin Dermatoses
- BioGlan Pharma Drug Representative Training Program Lecturer
- BioGlan Pharma Physician Advisory Board Participant
- WPEN Radio “Ask the Doctor” Medical Guest on Dermatologic Procedures
- AIDS Fund Medical Expert Participant for Treatment of Alopecia
- SmithKline Drug Representative Training Program Lecturer on Famcyclovir
- Schering Local Clinical Lecture Series to Pharmacists; Exposure to Dermatology
- Schering Local Clinical Lecture Series to Medical Residents; Common Skin Dermatoses
- Schering Local Clinical Lecture Series to Family Practitioners; Dermatoses in General Practice
- American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery, Guest Speaker on 810 nm Diode Laser Theory, Procedure, Results
- Guest Lecturer at Pennsylvania Academy of Dermatology
- Cover Article – Philly Health and Fitness Magazine, “Philly’s Fittest Physicians”
- National Disease and Therapeutic Index Physician Panel Profile Participant
- National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey Participant
- Fujisawa Guest Lecturer on Eczema
- Central Valley Dermatology Society, “Clinical Safety and Effect of Protopic Use in Eczema from Multiple Clinical Trials”
- IMS Health Pharmaceutical Promotion Survey Participant
- Guest Lecturer on Steroid Responsive Dermatoses. Hahnemann University Hospital Residents. Tequila Restaurant, Philadelphia, PA.
- Volunteer – Olay Skin Cancer Public Screening Participant.
- Guest Lecturer on Current Issues in Dermatology. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Residents. Susanna Foo Restaurant
- Guest Speaker Wills Eye Institute Continuing Medical Education. Oculoplastic Update: Eyelid and Facial Rejuvenation; A Multidisciplinary Approach